Wednesday, April 20

GROWING....


FACES AND PHRASES//.
WALKING THROUGH THE HIGH AND LOWS OF GROWTH....

/PH. BLADE PRO/
I have been having the most interesting thoughts in the past couple days. It could be the friends coming in town, the insane number of projects I have on plate or the throngs of vastly different people I meet on a daily basis. So, these are my thoughts…


In my industry (social media), I have the privilege of meeting people from different walks of life. Some are eccentric, interesting and engaging while others walk through life like the dull thud of a stone hitting rock bottom. With no intention in engaging the continual discussion of the ‘nature vs. nurture’ debate, I sometimes wonder about how we, as a society, are able to take fresh slates and mold them into the human beings we interact on a daily basis.


I can only speak for myself but it constantly amazes me when I look at babies. My friend recently gave birth to a little baby girl whose current sole purpose in life is to smile, eat and sleep. When she was placed in my arms, I felt an overwhelming sense of… wonderment. As I stared at her doll-size hands and feet, I think I whispered to her, “How do you go from you to me?”


We never notice personal growth but others do. When we were young, our parents would take note of our first words, first steps, first day at school, first day at university and first day at work. As we get older, our parents know less and less about the personal details about our life. Not necessarily because we aren’t close but there are just some things you don’t tell your parents.




I think of how I have changed in the past decade, stepping out into society with the unsure steps of a toddler to being comfortable with myself. I have learnt a lot in the past couple years, having to move through the more difficult times depending on personal commitment and rationale. It would have been easier to lean on someone like I did when I was a little toddler but pain is all part of growing up.


Many close friends disagree with me, but I am the definition of ‘luck’. I am very lucky… Luck has a way of placing me in the most suitable places at the most appropriate times. I am built on a series of coincidences and opportune moments. And I have that to be thankful for. I never really understood it when parents talk about how the ‘childhood years just flew by’ but to go from a tiny person to a full-grown adult. It’s no easy feat.



No one really tells you how difficult it is.


But then again, no one tells you how satisfying it is to know that we will all turn out ok. 
x